Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Thank you for saving the democracy My Lord

I didn’t have the slightest bit of interest in politics in my adolescent phase. As I grew up I heard things about democracy, character of politicians and the process of election in which general public would go to vote and elect a politician who was supposed to take decisions for them and strive to develop the society in a better way. The election days were like festivals, not like the usual ones in which we would get sweets or new cloths or light crackers. But as in other festivals, there were grand preparations. Loud-speakers would call the names of politicians and discuss their agenda. People engaged in discussions about the policies of political parties and their candidates. One thing I could make out of all those discussions was how pathetic they all were and how they would have to choose the least corrupt or the best amongst all those good-for-nothings. And as the election-day came, they would all go to vote. I heard from my father how he had to wait in the line for almost whole day to get his vote registered. I couldn’t fathom their logic. I asked to myself and to them why you waste so much of your efforts in such a thing. Why vote anyone if you know that they aren’t going to do anything good for the area, leave alone the country. They tried to convince me by saying that this is a democracy and democracies run on elections. You will also have to vote when you come of the age. While it isn’t compulsory, you ought to give your vote because you would be contributing significantly for your country. Their logic never convinced me and I thought I would never vote until recently. Until I am fully sure that my vote goes to right person I wouldn’t vote because my vote to a wrong person would indirectly make me a contributor in the wrongdoings of all those corrupt persons. I thought why can’t there be a simple button or ballot saying that I don’t want choose any of these bastards. Instead my vote should indicate that none of these morons are capable or moral enough to rule over me.

And as if like a miracle, Supreme Court heard my words and more importantly of those who were relentlessly trying to convince those same bastards to incorporate such an important electoral reform. While in my opinion trying to convince those bastards was always a lost cause, I had in my mind that someone must be hearing the pleas because democracy in a vast country like India wouldn’t have survived if there were none. I think that such an important step has come after a huge delay but as they say, better late than never. The greatest dilemma in this whole scenario is that the one functionary of democracy that was supposed to bring about this change is shamelessly staring at the real lords of democracy to guide them through their works. And this is not an isolated event. Now that I am aware of many of the decisions taken by Supreme Court and its implications, I can safely say that all this time they have been the real champions of the democracy.

On the other hand, our system of democracy is not supposed to function in the way it is functioning now. Courts shall never enter the field of legislation and reforms. They are the protectors of law. Their scope shall be limited in providing the meaning of a law and enforce it. But even knowing all this, I am glad that they are forcing their way into the muddy path where they are not supposed to be. These bastards are the reason why they are there in the first place and they will be there until these bastards come to their senses. I don’t know for how long these benevolent champions of democracy would be able to continue in this path but for now they have surely been able to reinforce my faith in democracy. I hope for a day when I would be able to say the same thing about those bastards and if only hoping doesn’t work I shall try to enter their field to show them how things can change for better. But for now I hope because “hope is a good thing, probably the best of the things” as beautifully described in The Shawshank Redemption.


Note: Replace bastards/morons with politicians/legislators.

2 comments:

  1. pictured your thought lucidly, concisely and interestingly. The "Note" is the harsh reality today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bhaisahab...pura padh liya tumne...thanx...:)

    ReplyDelete